Columbia Arbitration Day 2019 Program
8:30 a.m. - 8:55 a.m.
- Registration & Breakfast
8:55 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Conference Introduction by the CAD Chair
9:00 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
Panel 1 : The EU and ISDS: A Work in ProgressModerator:
- George Bermann, Columbia Law School, New York
- John Beechey, Beechey Arbitration, Hong Kong
- Grant Hanessian, Baker McKenzie LLP, New York
- Michael Reisman, Yale Law School
- Garth Schofield, Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague
- Shane Spelliscy, Trade Law Bureau, Government of Canada; UNCITRAL Working Group III
10:20 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
- Coffee break
11:00 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
Panel 2: What Does it Mean to be Pro-Arbitration?Moderator:
- Kabir Duggal, Columbia Law School, New York
- Carlos Forbes, CAM/CCBC, São Paulo
- William W. Park, Boston University School of Law, Boston
- Luke Sobota, Three Crowns LLP, Washington D.C.
- Kristen Young, White & Case, Washington D.C.
12:20 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
1:20 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Keynote Address by Gaëtan Verhoosel, Three Crowns LLP, London “Uncanny: Investment Arbitration’s Three Tales of Trouble”
2:00 p.m. - 3:20 p.m.
Panel 3A: Energy Arbitration in Latin America: Challenges and TrendsModerator:
- Howard Zelbo, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, New York
- Julie Bédard, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, São Paulo
- Harry Burnett, King & Spalding, New York
- Maribel Rodriguez Vargas, Cuatrecasas, Madrid
- Aníbal Sabater, Chaffetz Lindsey, New York
Panel 3B: Interactive Relations Between Court Systems and Arbitration in AsiaModerator:
- Frances E. Bivens, Davis Polk & Wardwell, New York
- Alison Chang, CIArb (YMG), Taiwan Chapter; King and Wood Mallesons, Beijing
- Joshua Karton, Queen’s University Faculty of Law, Kingston
- Joongi Kim, Yonsei Law School, Seoul; Georgetown Law
- Yoshimi Ohara, ICC Court of Arbitration ; Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu, Tokyo
- Fiona Poon, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, New York
3:20 p.m. - 3:40 p.m
- Coffee Break
3:40 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Panel 4: What Does Diversity Bring to Arbitration?Introduction: Mirèze Philippe, ICC Court of Arbitration, Paris Moderator:
- Caroline Richard, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Washington D.C.
- Dana C. MacGrath, Bentham IMF and ArbitralWomen, New York
- Julissa Reynoso, Winston & Strawn, New York
- Alex Spiro, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, New York
- Erin Thomas, Covington and Burling, LLP, New York
- Emily Slater, Burford Capital; The Equity Project, New
5:00 p.m. - 5:05 p.m.
- Concluding remarks by the CAD 2019 Co-Chairs
5:05 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Reception, cocktails, raffle, and 10th anniversary recognitions